If you’ve been following my blog, you know not only do I love quilts, but animals, too. All of us at Quilts Inc. do, and most of us have rescues as pets. After my most recent rescue, Sweetie, whom I fostered and thankfully adopted out, I thought it would be a great idea to do some kind of outreach quilt exhibit/fundraiser for Houston-based shelters. With the economy the way it has been, and the fact that a lot of strays are wandering the streets in search of food and a place to rest, the shelters in Houston are more than at capacity with animals in desperate need of good, loving, forever homes. These places could really use our help in terms of funding.
So the good news: We talked about the idea at Quilts, Inc., and we are doing a fundraiser at International Quilt Festival this fall to help these shelters, and we want YOU to participate!
Introducing the Pet Postcard Project!
Want to make postcard-sized quilts to be featured at International Quilt Festival/Houston and to raise money for animals in dire need? Make what we are currently dubbing…Critter Cards!
Here are the preliminary details:
1. Make as many 4″ x 6″ fabric postcards (that are no more than 1/8″ in thickness) as you would like to be featured and sold at International Quilt Festival this upcoming fall.
2. We want you to get pet-ty! For these fabric postcards, keep them animal-themed or related to animals in some fashion. On the back side of the fabric postcard, please sign your name and title your postcard. (Contact information is optional.)
3. We will sell the postcards for $20 each at Festival, and all of the proceeds will go to Houston-based animal shelters.
4. These postcards are due at the Quilts, Inc. office no later than Tuesday, October 23rd. Please note: this is a receive-by date!
5. You can mail as many fabric postcards as you would like, but please place them in a padded envelope. This way they will stay in pristine condition to be displayed at Festival.Please mail them to: Pet Postcards Attn: Pokey Bolton 7660 Woodway Suite 550 Houston, TX 77063
Send as many fabric postcards as you can create, and send them early! I will be displaying many of your postcards on my blog before Festival to build up momentum for the fall show. In the next blog post I will give more specifics and requirements for this special opportunity, along with a tutorial for making fabric postcards with tips and techniques. I am committing to making (minimally) 50 fabric postcards!
Please help me spread the word about this opportunity to help animals in need!