pokey's ponderings

Thoughts on Crafting a Life

We are thrilled to announce that Friends for Life, Houston’s fastest growing no-kill animal adoption and rescue organization, will be the beneficiary shelter for Quilt Festival’s Pet Postcard Project! I personally admire this organization tremendously for the work and outreach they do, and it is where I adopted my dog, Clarence.

For this fall’s International Quilt Festival/Houston, we are launching our first of three Festival Pet Projects, and we are inviting YOU for this fall’s show to make fabric postcards that will sell for $20 each to benefit Friends for Life.

Take the Pet Postcard Pledge!

Would you be willing to make and donate a one-of-a-kind fabric postcard? I am hoping we get at least 500 fabric postcards, and if they all sell, that is $10,000! And wouldn’t it be fantastic if we got even more?

We encourage animal-themed fabric postcards but we certainly welcome and would appreciate other themes as well, such as abstracts, landscapes, floral pieces, etc. The point is to raise as much funds as we can!

If you are interested in making a fabric postcard (or two or three or more), here are the requirements:

• Each fabric postcard must be 4″ x 6″ and can have either a horizontal or vertical orientation. They should be stitched (hand or machine) and consist of a front, batting (or interfacing), and a back. As these postcards will not be going through the mail, it is OK if they are in excess of 1/8″ in thickness. So if you want to heavily embellish your postcard(s), go for it!

• You are not limited to making just one fabric postcard. Create as many fabric postcards as you like.

• On the back side of the fabric postcard, please sign your name and title your postcard. (Contact information is optional.)

• These postcards are due at the Quilts, Inc. office no later than Tuesday, October 23rd. Please note: this is a received-by date.

• You can mail as many fabric postcards as you would like, but please place them in a padded envelope. This way they will stay in pristine condition to be displayed at Festival. Please mail them to:

Festival Pet Project
Attn: Pokey Bolton
7660 Woodway
Suite 550
Houston, TX 77063

The fabric postcards are just beginning to arrive at the office, and here is an assortment of cards by the truly talented Beryl Taylor:

52 thoughts on “Please Take Our Quilt Festival Pet Project Postcard Pledge!

1. Christine Wilson says:

Three completed, working on another batch. . .

2. edyB says:

I’m in! Have several ideas and will be stitching away soon! Love this project to help the critters! 8-)

1. Terrific, Edy! And we are looking for non-animal themed postcards, too, so if you have an idea for a landscape, floral, etc. we welcome those!

3. Linda says:

Working on getting 10 out to you, all doggie theme. 3 completed and 7 half done!!! It’s amazing that once you get going more and more ideas keep coming!

1. Linda says:

A package of 10 will be put in the mail tomorrow in a padded envelope.
        For the question on backing: I’ve fused a stiff stabiliser like TimTex to the back and then marked with a micron pen, also fused stiff paper as the backing on one and that also seemed to work well.

4. Lisa says:

Wishing you much success in this project! I will be making some postcards and then buying a few as well. Looking forward to the event!

1. Great, Lisa! Can’t wait to see your postcards!

5. Count me in ! Great idea Okey

6. Mona says:

A friend is having to surrender her dog as I write. I don’t believe I’m in a position to take the dog, although I really wish I could. I plan on making several cards to help support other animals in need.

1. Thanks, Mona I sure hope your friend’s dog can find a forever home soon!

2. Marilyn WK says:

Mona, what city is this dog in and maybe some details like breed/mix, age, gender? Maybe someone in that city who follows Pokey’s blog can help it. I’ve got a friend’s dog now from 3 months to forever, depending on her circumstances.

7. quiltzyx says:

I see that I’d better get busy making some CAT cards!

8. Jamie Fingal says:

I am putting a stack of fiber postcards in the mail to you today. Thank you for opening the subject to more than dogs. Good luck! See you in Houston! Whoohoo! Dogs rule!

9. Laura Krasinski says:

I’m working on some.. I should have at least 6…

10. cindylarsen says:

I have 5 made and will be making more tomorrow. I also spread the word on my blog.

11. Michele G says:

What are y’all putting on the back of the postcards? Plain fabric? Fabric printed with traditional postcard markings? Paper?

1. Michele, the ones that have been coming in simply have fabric on the back, along with a name (either fused on or marked with a felt-tip marker).

1. Michele G says:

Thanks, Pokey, I’m headed to the studio to get busy on some postcards!

12. Kathy says:

Hi Pokey! I love this idea — I will do my best to contribute. I also have a beautiful dog that I rescued from an animal shelter about 3 years ago. She is like a daughter to me. I don’t know how you find time for all of this! OMG!!!! Are you married? do you have children? As a wife and mother, my time for sewing is so limited at times, and sometimes, nonexistent! Please tell me how you manage to find so much time for sewing!! What is a typical schedule like for you? Thank for any insight you can provide! :) I found out about your project thru Cheryl Lynch’s blog — so glad I did!

13. chichi22 says:

Hi Pokey!! Remember me? Fortunately I “like” FFL on FB (because I’m a local) and so I just saw the posting about QF teaming up with FFL — what a GREAT idea! My husband and I just toured their new facility about two weeks ago and thought about applying for a stray German Shepherd that we’ve been fostering. Now my husband says we’ll just keep her! She’s a beauty!!) I would LOVE to contribute to this cause! I’m a friend of Shelli Ricci’s and we’ve become fast friends. We also were in a pc exchange group this month with a group we formed on a cruise in February. I’ve learned so much about making these little FINISHED pieces of art!! I’ve already e-mailed Shelli and the rest of our group to get the word out!! Hope you get tons of participation! — Tay Cutchin Satterfield in Kemah, TX

14. Shelli Ricci says:

This is a dog-gone grrrrrrreat idea! Two of my favorite things… fur and fabric. I will notify my postcard exchange groups so that everyone can get in on the fun! We rescued a little angel about 7 years ago…( I think she really rescued us). Funny how that works?! I am going to my studio now to get started.

15. Joanne Alburger says:

Hi Pokey, what a great gift to give to our dog & cat friends, for they are the luv of most of our lives, but that can’t stitch up some of this fun.
    amazing how my dogs help me sew much every day…maybe will get their paws of help on card.
    hope you get lost of furry response and surpase your goal…..from Toby & Brett’s human
    jrsay

16. Jill Isakson says:

I will make a couple of cards…Sounds like fun!

17. Barbara Jensen says:

This is a fantastic idea! “Friends” is a wonderful shelter and I’m thrilled to see it get some big attention. Have you met Alison and Kim from The Lightfoot Way? They’re awesome pet whisperers that occasionally do free “readings” at the Friends location in the Heights. My postcards will be mailed or delivered soon. I can’t wait to shop for some by my favorite designers. I’ll also announce this ‘art for a cause’ at our guild meetings this week (Quilt Guild of Greater Houston). Kudos to you and Quilts, Inc.for putting this organization in the spotlight.

18. Judi Kirk says:

Hi Pokey. I plan to bring some postcards with me to the show (since I live in the UK).

Where should I drop them off? I’m arriving on the 25th October.

Best wishes,
    Judi

19. Sue Andrus says:

I plan to have a bunch of cards mailed in the next day or so… Probably just sneaking under the wire…. Such a great cause, especially since my sister who lives near Houston works for a Boxer rescue. One way for me to help out a bit. I do wish I could get to the show, but not possible again this year…

20. Linda says:

will you be doing this next year also? (2013) I would like to try making a postcard quilt to donate. Will it be a dog theme again?

21. sandy2001 says:

I’m in an online postcard trading group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/postcardpizzazz/ I will post on the site. I sent in postcards last year for the pets. Will hvesome going out this year to

1. Sandy, that’s GREAT! Thanks for sharing with them!

22. Anamarie Fox says:

Completed one in loving memory of Luke and Jager, a rotty and a german shepherd horrifically murdered last saturday in Brentwood, CA please read my blog about it http://girlartaddict.blogspot.com or http://www.myhappycocoon.com/my blog Thanks!

1. I read this and it made me very upset. I feel awful this happened…so heartbreaking…