pokey's ponderings

Thoughts on Crafting a Life

I want to thank everyone so much who stitched and/or purchased fabric postcards for our Quilt Festival Pet Project to benefit Friends For Life, Houston’s premier no-kill animal rescue and shelter program! Our initial hope was to reach $10,000 with the sale of these fabric postcards, and before the show, I was a little worried that this amount was a lofty and unrealistic goal. Well, guess what: my worrying was a waste of energy.

The postcard wall was dog-gone busy the entire show!

Amanda Schlatre and I even fetched some fabric postcards for ourselves.

And by Sunday morning, the guesstimate of nearly 900 fabric postcards  had dwindled to just 20…

…until all were adopted.

And my concern of not reaching $10,000 was for naught. When I discovered the final amount raised between the sale of the postcards and monetary donations, I wanted to leap like Lassie, bound about like Benji, and gambol like Garfield. Are you ready?

We raised $20,251.62!

To break this amount down, the money will:

• Vaccinate 4,000 cats

• Vaccinate 5263 dogs

• Neuter 363 tomcats

• Provide heartworm treatment for 49 dogs

• Provide 1000 Project WARM feral cat shelters for distribution to colonies all over Houston.

Above with Salise Shuttlesworth, Founder and Director of Friends For Life. I  admire her very much for her tenacity, passion, and advocacy for all animals.

I want to thank everyone so, so much for helping us raise this money–for making postcards, for buying them, for blogging about the project, for telling your guild members and friends, for helping in the booth, the list goes on.

Great news for future years at International Quilt Festival/Houston!

For those who did not have a chance to make fabric postcards or attend the show to purchase any, we will be doing this fabric postcard benefit again in Houston for the next two years! So go ahead and start making fabric postcards because we want to raise twice as much next year as we did this year!

We will also have news on our accompanying Pet Project juried animal quilt exhibit to debut next year, so if you want to make a quilted animal portrait, we invite you to start stitching.

Cheers!

26 thoughts on “Breaking News! The Grand Total for our Quilt Festival Pet Project Fundraiser for Friends For Life is…

1. Cheryl says:

Congratulations, Pokey! What a great achievement!

2. Linda says:

WOW!! Congratulations. That is amazing, I’m only sorry I could not be in Houston to see all the cards. I tried scanning your photos to see mine but could not, I’m sure they went to a good home, just like the furry friends they will help support. My furry friend is just back from some surgery and at 12 years old for a standard poodle she is doing fine. They fill so much of our hearts and deserve the very best. Congrats again for all your efforts. I’m sure next year will be even bigger.

3. Sheila says:

Wow Wow Wow Pokey!!! This is so wonderful! I had no idea it would be that much…
    Congrats to you for having this amazing idea, and that it exceeded your expectations. I’m glad to have been a part of it in a small way. :)

4. It warms my heart to know this. Congratulations on a fantastic turnout!

5. This is thrilling news! I was happy to contribute this year, and I’ll get started right away at making cards for the upcoming years. Thanks for taking this to heart and making it happen.
    xoxo
    L

6. Tay Cutchin Satterfield says:

Pokey, that is terrific ! Congratulations!!! The only day I was at Festival was Sunday and I stopped by the booth to see the cards and there were only about 20 left (none of them were mine–yay!). The girl in the booth said you had just been there. So sorry I missed you. I will certainly plan to donate again in 2013.

7. Kay Sorensen says:

Quilters are the most generous people!
    And they LOVE their animals.

8. peppercory says:

That’s wonderful Pokey–and it started with you and your concern for a stray dog. There is Karma in the world and you’re stirring up lots. Congratulations.

9. Lisa says:

Wahoo!!! That is fabulous! What a blessing to all those animals! Great job everyone! After seeing all the great postcards and what was selling I have lots of ideas for next year’s postcards.

10. Is there anything Pokey can’t accomplish ? It sure doesn’t seem so. Pokey brings folks together and they obviously accomplish what is put before them. Congrats Pokey you deserve to put your feet up for a few minutes. Keep up the good work we need you.

11. Karen G says:

Congratulations to Pokey and everyone else who made this such a success! I was not able to attend this year and see all of them! Great job!

12. Molly says:

With short notice, it is amazing how everyone got involved! Congrats!

13. Cheryl Lynch says:

Yay Pokey! It was an honor to be involved in this project. Quilters are a force to be reckoned with and can accomplish so much with needle and thread. Thanks for the opportunity.

14. SewCalGal says:

Great job Pokey. Absolutely wonderful. I’m so proud of you for taking this project on and hope it will be repeatedly annually. If you do, please let me know and I’ll gladly help with advance PR.

SewCalGal

15. Debbie says:

Great job! I know I will be making different postcards to send in this next year. That is such a wonderful accomplishment, to know all that money will help so many helpless animals in need. Thanks for all you did! I am a SPCA president in Oregon and know how much all the animal rescue need help like yours and everyones.

16. Robin Woods says:

Did you hear me shout “WOW!” from north Houston? Way to GO!!! That is so awesome.
    So when can we schedule you to give a “how to make a fabric postcard” mini-workshop at Houston Modern Quilt Guild? I think we need to get started on beating your 2012 total in 2013!

17. Judi Hurwitt says:

Way to go, Pokey!! For those of us who don’t sew, can we make mixed-media postcards?

18. Mary Geehan says:

Congratulations, that is fantastic, I can’t wait until 2013 I am gong to start now to make some postcards.
    How do I enter an Animal portrait quilt year?

19. Laroyce Coy says:

That is wonderful. Are we going to make more for next year? There are many things to be thankful for. I am so proud of you for taking on this job.

I hope the International Quilt Show know how lucky they are to have hired you. You have so many good ideas. Keep up the good work

20. cindylarsen says:

Wow, congratulations Pokey! It goes to show that one person can make a difference. You had the idea and we quilters jumped at the chance to help. I was thrilled to contribute postcards to a cause that is near and dear to my heart, and am looking forward to making more for next year!

21. Super! What an accomplishment, inspired by a stray dog, and one very kind and compassionate person. Plus everyone who made a card or 10. Congratulations on your successful effort, and for all the shelters who now can better care for the animals in their charge. WTG, Pokey!

22. Holly Sietsema says:

What a great effort !! $20,000 plus. Just read about your little pet friends who passes away. I’m sorry. This is a great tribute to them. Thanks, for taking care of our animal friends!!

23. maid service says: