Quilters, It’s Time To Get Busy…Quilt Festival’s Pet Postcard Project Is Back!

Fabric Postcard

My fabric postcard of Nellie and Clarence, my two adopted pooches from Friends For Life

x

We are thrilled to announce the second annual edition of Quilt Festival’s Pet Postcard Project!  Friends for Life, Houston’s fastest growing No-Kill animal adoption and rescue organization, will again be the beneficiary shelter!

x

Frieds for Life LogoSeveral of us at Quilts have adopted animals from Friends For Life, an organization I admire very much for the work, education, and outreach they do for Houston’s most vulnerable animals who would very likely be euthanized if they weren’t in their program.

Pokey Bolton Salise Shuttlesworth

Salise Shuttlesworth, Founder and Director of Friends For Life and I are each holding up a fabric postcard from last year’s benefit.

x

Some may remember that we raised more than $20,000 total last year at Quilt Festival for Friends For Life by selling hundreds of donated fabric postcards for $20 each, and this year I am hoping to far surpass that amount! We are inviting YOU for this fall’s show to make fabric postcards to help us achieve this goal.

Here’s how you can help:

1. Make as many 4″ x 6″ fabric postcards (that are no more than 1/8″ in thickness) as you would like to be featured and sold at International Quilt Festival this upcoming fall.

2. We want you to get pet-ty! We encourage animal-themed fabric postcards but we certainly welcome and would appreciate other themes as well, such as abstracts, landscapes, floral pieces, etc. The point is to raise as much funds as we can! On the back side of the fabric postcard, please sign your name and title your postcard. (Contact information is optional.)

3. We will sell the postcards for $20 each at Festival, and all of the proceeds will go to Houston-based animal shelters.

4. These postcards can be mailed to the Quilts, Inc. office no later than Tuesday, October 22, 2013. Please note: this is a receive-by date! We will of course accept postcards during Quilt Festival but want to have a large starting bank of postcards so would love it if you mailed them in advance!

5. You can mail as many fabric postcards as you would like, but please place them in a padded envelope. This way they will stay in pristine condition to be displayed at Festival.

Please mail them to:
Pet Postcards
Attn: Pokey Bolton
7660 Woodway
Suite 550
Houston, TX 77063

6. Come to Quilt Festival and buy as many postcards as you are able!

If you would like to see some examples of fabric postcards (of the feline variety) we received last year, click here.

The good news is the postcards are starting to come in, and we would love to sell hundreds (thousands?) of them to raise a record-breaking amount to save animals’ lives.

Postcard wall

x

I’ll be making lots of postcards over the summer months as I quilt poolside (while taking breaks with my little swimming buddie)!

Nellie swimmingWill you be taking the postcard pledge? I hope so!

45 Comments

1. Pokey, I so want to contribute this year, but I’m not a stitcher or sewer. I have many of my own hand-dyed fabrics, however, and I am a wiz with collaging them… can I create postcard-sized collages with fabric for this event, without any stitching or sewing? I didn’t contribute anything last year because I wasn’t brave enough to ask this question, but I really want to help this amazing organization, too!

• Laurie,

I spoke to the FFL staff and YES it would be welcomed to use the logo as inspiration for stitching! How fun, and you gave me an idea for a challenge! Just make sure to credit the logo on the back. Can’t wait to see yours!

2. Pingback: Show & Tell: Pet Postcards Are Arriving! « pokey's ponderings

3. MaryAnne says:

What do you want on the “address” side of the post card? Do you want them with lines as if getting ready to mail? Do we put any personal info in the cards?

4. Mary Parisian says:

My question is basically the same as MaryAnne. Will these cards be used to mail once purchased? Do we need to be sure to keep that area clean?

5. Pingback: TGIF! Who wants a free quilt book? « pokey's ponderings

6. Mary Parisian says:

There are lots of free pattern’s of Dog’s and cat’s on the Internet, will I be allowed to use one of these free pattern’s in my postcard quilt?

7. sndnsea says:

Hi Pokey,
    I am making a pet postcard this weekend and starting a new quilt for my daughter using a photo of her now deceased and very missed doggie. I am also taking a friend to the Mancuso Show New England.
    Have a good splash for me with the pool

8. Ali says:

I know someone who will be submitting some postcards. I am interested in purchasing their particular ones, but will not be able to make it to the quilt show in the first few days and would hate for them to be sold to someone else (they have a personal meaning to me). Do you know if there is a way to pre-buy the cards or to put a hold on them?

• Hi Ali,

I am sorry, but there really isn’t a way to pre-buy the postcards. Hopefully she/he can get someone to go to purchase? I am very glad at the amount of excitement generated by this project, and I am hopeful we can bring in as much money as possible for this shelter! Thank you…Pokey

9. Mary Parisian says:

10. Gerri Tredway says:

This project really appeals to me. I have made 4 postcards and will mail them when we get to the United States next week. We have 2 rescue dogs, Chiquita and Greta.

11. Pingback: American Quilt Retailer » Customer participation — who can resist!

12. Pingback: Pet Postcards Show & Tell…Keep ‘Em Coming! « pokey's ponderings

13. Pingback: Trading Post Tutorials « pokey's ponderings

14. Pingback: Postcard for Houston- Marti | coolquilting

15. Sue Richardson says:

Pokey, I’m so glad I found out about this. I pledge to make and send at least one card by the deadline this year. For next year, I pledge to make at least six and will shoot for twelve. I’m a new quilter/sewer with a long list of projects. It will feel good to be able to help animals and build my stitching skills at the same time!

16. Pingback: How to Make Pet Postcards « pokey's ponderings

17. Kudis to you…great idea!!!
    I would like to organize one of these in Canada to benefit a large Cdn animal society- could you share with me some of the other details not shown on your blog????

18. Pingback: Hold Your Horses! Look What the Cat Dragged In! « pokey's ponderings

19. Car Shipping says:

But I grew up as a digestible and available source of protein and carbohydrate.
    Your body will get the body you have now involved
    your upper body when doing push-ups is your biceps.
    Packed with relevant and accurate information on losing fat and gaining
    muscle. Chantal Coady, founder muscle factor x of the Center for
    Orofacial Pain.

20. Linda says:

can you purchase these animal fabric postcards anywhere else but the Quilt Show? I’m unable to attend the show, but LOVE these postcards!!

21. Charolette says:

Good day! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured
    I’d ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa?
    My website goes over a lot of the same topics as yours and I
    believe we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an email.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!

22. Pingback: A Happier Holiday for the Homeless Pooches and Kitties of Houston | pokey's ponderings

23. knouse says:

I recently just like the helpful data people deliver for ones articles or blog posts. I’m going to save your blog site and also take a look at yet again below on a regular basis. We’re relatively sure I will be taught a lot of new material suitable the following! Good luck for the!

24. Connie says:

I am curious to find out what blog system you are utilizing?
    I’m experiencing some small security issues with my latest site and I’d
    like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any solutions?

25. Elton says:

But most of the STDs can also pass on during other kinds of sexual activities like oral intercourse
    and anal intercourse. Yu n vn tk actions that wIll hl t prevent the In th fIrt
    location. Women are precious human being created by god.