T-minus one week until we descend upon the Queen city for Quilt Festival Cincinnati, and there are going to be a number of fun and festive activities on the show floor to prepare for beforehand!
1. Make an Ohio Star Quilt Block!
• Make a 9.5″-square unfinished block (so that when we quilt it it will be 9″ finished) where the theme is a variation of the Ohio Star. We welcome modern, traditional, and arty variations.
• Stick to red and white as your color scheme.
• Sign your unfinished quilt block with a permanent marker somewhere on the front of the block.
• During show hours, bring your 9.5″-square unfinished block to our Design Wall on the show floor just inside the exhibit hall.
Once quilted, this Ohio Star quilt will be donated to a local Cincinnati charity next spring. All those who make a quilt block will have the opportunity, at this year’s show, to vote for a local charity where they would like to see the quilt donated. We will announce the winning charity at next year’s Quilt Festival in Cincinnati (2014), where we will also have the finished quilt on display. We hope you’ll be a part of this fun and unique challenge!
2. Make ATCs or Mug Rugs to Trade at Our Trading Post!
Make as many ATCs and mug rugs as you like to trade with others at the Trading Post, which will be located in front of Create on the Spot!
Don’t know how to make ATCs or mug rugs? They are fast and easy to create!
ATC Tutorials online:
Mug Rug Tutorials:
3. Come to the Show on Preview Night (April 10) to experience Open Studios!
For the duration of Preview Night, artists will be on hand in the Create on the Spot! area demonstrating everything from monoprinting and screen printing fabrics to demonstrating modern quilting techniques. Don’t miss out!
4. Prepare to Take Workshops at Create on the Spot!
Take just an hour, or less, to learn a quick new skill, and make a fun project. No pre-enrollment; just pay $10 at the door (first-come, first-served). Tickets available all day (for that day’s sessions only) until the class space is sold out. Come to booths 626/727 off “Main Street” to see the project line up.
Thursday, April 11
11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Kim DeCoste Pentagon Fabric Bowl—English Paper Piecing
12:30-1:30 p.m. Cindy Walter Miniature Painted Quilt
1:45-2:45 p.m. Edie Wittenmeyer Fabric Applique Fun!
3:00-4:00 p.m. Judy Murrah Jazzy Small Notions Bag
4:15-5:15 p.m. Pokey Bolton Fabric Postcards
Friday, April 12
11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Diane Zubrick Silk Screening—Gingko Leaves Art Cloth
12:30-1:30 p.m. Judy Murrah Jazzy Small Notions Bag
1:45-2:45 p.m. Diane Zubrick Silk Screening—Creating Art Cloth with Sharpies &
3:00-4:00 p.m. Pokey Bolton Fabric Postcards
4:15-5:15 p.m. Kim DeCoste Pentagon Fabric Bowl—English Paper Piecing
Saturday, April 13
11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Diane Zubrick Silk Screening—African Adinkra Symbols Art Cloth
12:30-1:30 p.m. Julie Craig Silk Roses
1:45-2:45 p.m. Diane Zubrick Silk Screening—Art Cloth Printing Lab
3:00-4:00 p.m. Kim DeCoste Pentagon Fabric Bowl—English Paper Piecing
We are also preparing for our Iron Quilter Challenge for Thursday night (April 11), which is going to be pretty hilarious!
If you haven’t bought your tickets to the show yet, click this link and you can buy them in advance.
Are you coming to Cincinnati? I hope to see you!